Training & Education
HEALTHY FAMILIES CORE TRAINING
Prevent Child Abuse Tennessee hosts the core training for the Healthy Families America model exclusively for sites in Tennessee. In order to participate, programs must be supported by the Tennessee Department of Health evidence-based home visiting contracts.
A link to register for each training will be posted on this page within six weeks of the scheduled training date. We do not keep wait lists for future training and are unable to schedule more than two dates for each training in a year.
stewards of children training
This is a training to recognize and address child sexual abuse in the context of today’s issues. You will learn the 5 Steps to Protecting our Children, a few action steps, and an understanding that child sexual abuse can be prevent, stopped, and overcome.
- Prevent Child Abuse Tennessee uses the national distributed Stewards of Children training program which is scientifically proven to increase knowledge, improve attitudes and change child-protective behaviors. This public education program is taught by Authorized Facilitators who have been trained by Darkness to Light. Topics covered:
- Facts about the problem of child sexual abuse
- Types of situations in which abuse might occur
- Simple, effective strategies for protecting children
- How to talk to children about sexual abuse
- Signs of abuse
- How to respond responsibly to child sexual abuse
Interested in hosting a Stewards of Children training? Fill out a training request, and we will contact you with more information.
impact of domestic violence on children
Experiencing violence in the home can have lasting effects on the entire family. This training addresses the impact of domestic violence on children and gives participants information on how to best support victims and their families.
adverse childhood experiences (aces)
When we create safe, healthy environments for children to grow up in, we are promoting a healthier and more productive future. This goal is undermined by Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs). ACEs weaken brain development in children and lead to higher health care costs, increased incarceration rates, lost work time, and poor mental health across the lifespan. This training helps participants understand what ACEs are, their effects on children and adults, and how we are helping parents who experienced ACEs in their own childhoods create safe, stable, nurturing relationships with their own children. Learn more about ACEs here.