TO REPORT ABUSE CALL:
How to Report Abuse and Neglect
Tennessee law requires that all persons must report suspected cases of abuse or neglect. If a child is in immediate danger, call 911. To report abuse and neglect, contact the Tennessee Department of Children's Services at the number listed above.
when you make a report
The Department of Children's Services will ask you a series of questions when you make a report. It is okay if you do not know all the answers- tell them as much as you know. It is their job to work with local law enforcement to conduct a thorough investigation.
remember these dos and Don'ts if a child tells you they have been abused:
- Panic or overreact
- Press the child to talk
- Promise anything you can't control
- Confront the offender
- Blame or minimize the child's feelings
- Overwhelm the child with questions
- Remain calm
- Believe the child
- Allow the child to talk
- Show interest and concern
- Reassure and support the child
- Take action. It could save a child's life.