Advocacy and Education
Prevent Child Abuse Tennessee is committed to leading local and statewide initiatives that educate the public and foster healthy communities where children thrive. We are recognized statewide for our leadership, subject matter expertise, and advocacy for systems and policies that support children and families.
Join us in our work to help create great childhoods for every child.
Parent Leadership Initiative
We train parents across the state to advocate for programs and policies that strengthen families and communities. Using their own experiences, parents are informing decisions that impact children and families and transforming community practice.
We empower parents and equip them to resolve systematic barriers that prevent children from reaching their full potential.
How we do this?
- Offering leadership development opportunities for parents.
- Providing training and technical assistance for organizations wanting to engage families in program planning.
- Facilitating conversations between parents, child serving agencies, and community members through the Community Café model (see below).
- Supporting the Parent Leadership Team.
The Parent Leadership Team is composed of parents and practitioners representing the Tennessee Department of Children’s Services' 12 regions. Through monthly training, advocacy, and community involvement, the leadership team is advocating for policies that positively impact children and families across Tennessee. www.parentpartnershiptn.org
Developing leadership skills gives parents the essential tools to advocate for their own children and be “the voice” to speak on behalf of other families at local, regional, and state levels. Partnering with parents in program planning impacts both community practice and policy. We provide a network of families supporting families, helping them build leadership skills. http://www.pcat.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Community-Cafe-Guidebook.pdf
Want to learn more about the Parent Leadership Initiative or Community Cafes? Request more information below and our Parent Leadership Coordinator will contact you.
Stewards of Children Trainings
This is a training to recognize and address child sexual abuse in the context of today’s issues. Participants will learn the 5 Steps to Protecting our Children, a few action steps, and an understanding that child sexual abuse can be prevented, stopped, and overcome.
- Prevent Child Abuse Tennessee uses the national distributed Stewards of Children training program which is scientifically proven to increase knowledge, improve attitudes, and change child-protective behaviors. This public education program is taught by Authorized Facilitators who have been trained by Darkness to Light. Topics covered:
- Facts about the problem of child sexual abuse
- Types of situations in which abuse might occur
- Simple, effective strategies for protecting children
- How to talk to children about sexual abuse
- Signs of abuse
- How to respond responsibly to child sexual abuse
Interested in hosting a Stewards of Children training? Fill out a training request, and we will contact you with more information.
Shaken Baby Syndrome Prevention
- Designed to educate parents before or shortly after the birth of their baby, the Shaken Baby Syndrome Prevention Project is a training program that can be used in a variety of settings.
- To find out more about the Shaken Baby Syndrome Prevention Program in Tennessee, contact Miranda Arstikaitis at 615-383-0994 or email her at email@example.com
We offer training for adults and professionals on many topics. We are committed to providing training tailored to your needs and interests. We also offer training required for the Healthy Families America model to our partners supported by the Tennessee Department of Health's Healthy Start and Healthier Beginnings contracts.